11.28.2010

Brownie Master Mix

Because I am an impatient person I have come to appreciate foods that can be made quickly. But I am also a picky person when it comes to foods I love. This creates a problem. A problem which my mother in law helped me solve by giving me a book called "Make-A-Mix Cookery" published in the 70's. The philosophy is to make bulk batches of your favorite things to eat so they can be prepared quickly when you need them. I have adapted my most common recipes so that I can make any of them on the fly. One of these go to recipes is a Brownie Mix. (As quick as a mix you might buy from the store, but better because it's homemade!)

Brownie Master Mix
Ingredients:
6 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons salt
8 cups sugar
8oz can unsweetened cocoa
2 cups vegetable shortening

Directions:
In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add sugar and cocoa. Blend well. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Store mix in an airtight container. Use within 12 weeks. Makes about 7 batches of brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment